Re: [Re: Too much equipment]

Ström (strom_photo@usa.net)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 22:17:16 -0400 (EDT)

DON'T BE INTIMIDATED BY THE DIGITAL REVOLUTION:

Number 1

    Be cynical. Vendors want to sell you something. They will use every emotional gambit to convince you to buy, including your failure to be current in technology.

Number 2
     There NO DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY, NONE, NONE, NONE, that is equivalent to the silver processes (which include color print processes and color transparency processes). Digital photography does not come anywhere, NOT ANYWHERE, near to the effectiveness, aethestically, artistically, and scientifically, to silver processes.

Number 3
     Use digital photography only for what it's worth. If you want to pay for it. You can give instantaneous photographs to your models. Do you pay your models? If so, forget digital. They have already been rewarded. Forget the digital reward. Remember, models are addicated. They will go to any lengths to get photographs. Paying them is enough.

Number 4
     Are you involved in Web production? If not, digital photography is stupid. You can be buy a very inexpensive scanner. NO ONE EXPECTS FINE PHOTOGRAPHY ON THE INTERNET. If, on the otherhand, you are involved in color separations, digital photography has advantages (minimal).

Number 5
     Digital encoding of photographic information is 100 years away from silver.

Ström

PS I am not biased. I am a computer systems engineer.

Michael Keller <keller@wvinter.net> wrote:
Now this is a good point to mention: you don't HAVE to do anything. You don't
have to ditch your good old stuff for new stuff, unless perhaps you're a
working pro that needs to have good, working gear that you can depend on. To a
professional, time is money, and spending some extra time futzing with
movements on a rickety field camera might convince one that a Sinar is a good
buy. But if you get the images you like with the gear you've got, don't worry,
be happy!

But don't buy that 620 format camera.<g>