Re: First try at Carbon Printing...

pmurf@bellsouth.net
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 06:20:07 -0700

At 04:02 PM 4/20/99 -0800, Mac wrote:

>I've been wanting to try Carbon Printing for a long time. I've saved
messages from the archive on the process.

>A post I saved describes using Black Rotring Drawing Ink. Has anyone tried
other colors like Koh-I-Noor universal ink (red, blue etc?).

Liquid Sumi ink is a good start; the pigments that work with
Carbon printing should not contain shellac or preservatives that will
cause spontaneous hardening of the gelatin.

>I have 3 oz. of Knox Gelatine. Will this work okay? I don't have any hard
gelatine.

Some have used food gelatin. However, I switched to a lab grade early
on and eliminated problems that I once had with frilling and bubbling
of the layer.

>Once the pigmented gelatin has dried (about how long does it take) can it
be saved for days, or must be used ASAP?

Local humidity , air exchange, and thickness of the layer will be the
primary factors. Two to Three days is not unusual for me. This time
can be shortened using a drying cabinet.
The pigment/gelatin can be kept for months before use. Freezing is
a good idea if you have the space.

good luck with this,

Phillip