RE: Imagesetter Output Going Away....

Hal Faulkner (faulkner@redshift.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 20:22:05 -0700

Hey Guys,

Speculate again. The latest issue of Adobe Magazine (not exactly PF, but
this thread is going somewhere else!) has an ad on the inside front cover
for a Xante (accent grave over the 'e' but I'm too lazy to figure out how to
get it there) Platemaker 3. Guess what? Direct-to-plate, (polyester, so
I'm speculating that there not really for those huge press runs) 2400x2400
dpi. Cost about $1.00 per plate. Leasing starting at $199/month. Not some
prediction but an honest to goodness real ad for something you can get
today.

Doesn't sound to me like you really need to be a big guy to afford one of
these.

I don't know what it costs for image setting, but I get the distinct feeling
that three years may be a bit on the long side. Optimistic or pessimistic
depending on your point of view! There may be, as was suggested in another
post, things that image setting does better than direct-to-plate, but they
may not be enough to keep it alive.

Film will be with us for a while. Those who like large format (or medium,
according to Patrick Alt) may begin to experience difficulty obtaining it.
We'll have to plan ahead, band together with friends to meet minimum order
quantities, etc. If I was in my twenties, I'd be studying digital real
hard. Or learning wet plate!

Hal