Re: Carbon transfer help...

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Sat, 08 May 1999 16:21:31 -0400

Mac Legrandi wrote:

>I'd like to expose the tissue w/ a step wedge and a small neg. How does
>the >exposure compare with other processes, cyanotype etc? This would give
>me a >frame of reference.

This depends on your light source, etc., etc. In my work, printing with a
bank of 350 na BL tubes about 1.75" from the negative, and with negatives
of DR of abouet .25-1.45, exposures are in the 5-15 minute range. I
sensitize with potassium dichromate but the use of the ammonium or
potassium dichromate makes little difference with carbon. The ammonium
gives more sensitivity but less contrast, and by the time you adjust its
strength to the contrast needed it prints almoste exactly the same as
potassium.

After you expose the tissue remove it from the printing frame, soak in
water at about 65F for 1-1.5 minutes, then bring into contact with the
final support (fixed out photographic paper or sized water-color paper
which has been soakingr in the cool water for 10-15 minutes). Squeege the
two together, place under paper and some weights and set aside for 10-30
minutes, then develop in water at about 105F.

Sandy King