Re: Gold toner question

Andy Buck (buckwiet@yahoo.com)
Tue, 18 May 1999 05:20:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for all the answers! Now it's my turn:

1. I used distilled water and followed the directions
exactly.

2. The 'powder' in step 2 never disolved the first
time.

3. There seemed to be way too much precipitate in step
two the second time, but I tried using it anyway, with
no results, i.e. color shift, in about 10 minutes or
more.

4. There is no hardener in the fix, but I was using
Kodak N FB and Ilford MGIV FB.

5. I'm not doing this for archival purposes. As
someone said, the are other easier gold toners, as
well as selenium for that (alhough Dr. Henry had his
doubts about selenium (I'll bet that gets a rise out
of some...)). I'm trying to get some brown/chocolate
tone in the denser areas of the print, but little or
none in the lighter areas while trying to keep the
base pure white. Because I want the base white and
little or no tone in the lighter areas, I don't want
to use a warm tone paper.

6. Split toning methods?

Any suggestions? Thanks, again!

Andy