Re: Angels Dancing on Pin Heads. Was Re: Ilford

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 18 May 1999 22:58:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Sandy King wrote:
> ...But more specifically, I
> don't understand how processing several sheets at a time will give, as you
> suggest, "much better and more even results". Is there something about the
> laminar flow of several sheets interacting that works to give better and
> more even development than doing the sheets one at a time? I believe you
> would find it difficult or impossible to actually prove this point.

Actually, Sandy, I think it's very different. About 15 years ago, when I
was young and foolish, I tried to develop sheet film in a tray -- only 4x5
you understand. Unable to flip 8 at a time or even 4, I tried with a mere
one. I took absolutely perfect step-by-step instructions from the friend
who was instructing me -- I even got the exact pyrex dish he was using.

I did EVERYTHING minutely according to DETAILED notes, I was practically
wearing a pair of his shoes -- and my film came out completely different
from his. Then I put it in the tray with 4 dummy sheets -- not to waste my
effort on 4 sheets of KPCF, but an attempt to get the timing and
"agitation" of more film. Still missed by a mile.

Then I got a Jobo. That also took some noodling to get a perfect match
with the grey scale in the scene, but in time I got it -- the "trick" was
Rodinal and slow hand spin... In any event, yeah, it is mysterioso, but
in my experience several in a tray is different, but forget dummies...
maybe it's the developer byproducts from reduction... probably
they act as restrainers?

cheers,

Judy