Scratches and 8x10

Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Tue, 18 May 1999 22:17:37 -0700

I am looking for knowledge from our collective list regarding scratches on
8x10 film. I know that we have had this come up before, but I would like to
know if anyone else is seeing scratches in the same or similar situation
that I am and if they have any suggested remedies. I am processing Bergger
200 8x10 film in a Jobo 3050 Expert drum on a Beseler motorbase unit using
Rollo pyro at 70F. I am using the protocol from TNPP with some slight
modifications. For instance, I am doing two initial Na metaborate presoaks
for 3 mins each before the developing process. Once the film is developed I
am washing it in an archival washer for 20 minutes. I am seeing scratches,
most of them running along the horizontal (longer spanned) of the film, on
some of the film, maybe 2 or 3 sheets out of the five that fit in the
processing tank at one time. I am wearing latex gloves when I load the film
into the holders, when I take the film out of the holders and load it into
the Expert tank, and then when I take the film and place it into the
archival washer and then when I take it out of the washer. I am very
careful not to handle the film roughly at any point in the process. The
water supply that I am using is double filtered tap water. I am thinking
about switching to a distilled water supply because this was mentioned by
some as the culprit in tray developing. I am also not sure if one or two of
my holders may somehow be scratching the film upon loading or unloading. I
do not want to change too many variables at one time or invest in a couple
of new 8x10 holders if they are not needed. The odd thing is that I am
using the same procedure as I did with my first box of Bergger film in which
I incurred no scratches. The scratches have just appeared now that I have
started using a new box of film. I have also noticed more pinholes with the
second box of film. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gary Miller