Indoors

LukaCA@aol.com
Thu, 20 May 1999 18:26:04 -0400 (EDT)

        The discussion on the difference of indoor and outdoor film response
has been interesting. Many other factors have been introduced in the
explaination though. I think the original question related to why a negative
of lower density was produced indoors with the same film, meter and camera
combination as used outdoors. Any factors outside of that, such as indoor
lights(practicals) or strobes throws another varialbe into the mix. The only
answer here is to test your combination of equipment in relationship to these
other light sources.
        Outside of practical lights or stobes, the discussion of spectral
sensitivity as the problem were the mosty significant. Natural light indoors
has a significantly different make up than outdoors. Glass absorbs huge
amounts of UV light. You could sit inside your house in the sun all day, and
you will not get the least bit tan.
All other things being equall, I think this accounts for the differences.
T-max films are less blue sensitive(especially T-max 100) than most other B+W
films and suffer the least when photographing indoors.
         Testing is the only way to deal with these types of problems!