Re: Modified Zia Formula

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:40:14 -0400

Carl and Richard,

Thanks for letting me know you've got good results with half the coating
chemistry. With the concern to get more Pd into the coating, which I
still believe necessary, I have overlooked the possibility of optimizing
the overall coating amount. Indeed I have also found that too little
chemistry gives a weak print and there is a certain level of chemistry
that beyond doesn't improve the print. It is interesting that too much
chemistry could be a problem. And perhaps too much is the culprit
causing the splotchy color, especially if you both have not seen
splotchy color.

I will make appropriate adjustments in the next test. In fact, checking
my notes, I have most frequently used a total of 24 drops for 8x10 on
most papers. 48 drops is the exception for some other work I had been
doing. Fabric needs 60 to 70 drops because it soaks in so much. It
seems as though too much is not a good thing.

I ALSO FEEL THAT THE PREVIOUS RESULTS MIGHT BE TAINTED BY THIS OVER
ABUNDANCE OF COATING CHEMISTRY. I will let you know.

As to some of Carl's suggestions.
I will continue using a brush as I am still not convinced a rod will
give me a better print.
I use a set time because of consistency (remember I'm doing tests). I
agree that for a print it is best to individually tailor each exposure
using the printout. More exposure can produce lower contrast (due to
the printout blocking - self masking) and I wish to see if contrast or
speed are affected by the chemical changes.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/