Re: brushes

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 13:58:20 -0400

John Melanson wrote:

> I wonder where you get brushes for pd/pt coating. It seems that they
> should be metal free, but I don't know of a supply for anything except
> foam and small Japanese brushes. In "The New Platinum Print", it looks
> like the brushes have metal ferules. Any comments?

Any art supply store should have them.

Metal ferules don't seem to be a problem. Get stainless steel or brass
and do not let the coating chemistry come in contact with the metal.
And wash the brush in distilled water to remove residual chemistry after
every coating.

The brushes I have found to work the best are ones that are wide, thin,
chisel point, and soft as a baby's butt (rub the brush on the back of
your hand). I have been satisfied with ones made of red sable
(expensive) and white sablene (say-bel-lean) (actually fine nylon and
much cheaper).

Typically the width of the brush will be 1/10 the longest size of the
print. That's 1 inch for an 8x10.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/