Re: Modified Zia Formula

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 14:17:24 -0400

Jeffrey,

The only way to find out whether a brush or rod is better is to use both
and compare the result. That also means developing a good technique with
each tool, and optimizing the amount of solution for each. In my tests
with standard zia formula and platinotype paper, the rod wins hands
down. Your results may differ, but you can't find out simply by assuming
the brush is the way to go.

The problem with a set exposure time is that it tests formula changes
for best results _at that exposure_, which may not be the same thing as
'best result, period'. If the formula modifications affect speed or
contrast the exposure needs to be modified accordingly in order to
evaluate whether those changes are good or bad.

I'm quite sure you will find that there is a "just enough" point for
solution quantity and I won't be at all surprised if your more
metal-rich formula provides an edge over the original recipe, once that
just-enough point is found.

---Carl