Re: brushes

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 14:10:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 21 May 1999, John Melanson wrote:

> I wonder where you get brushes for pd/pt coating. It seems that they
> should be metal free, but I don't know of a supply for anything except
> foam and small Japanese brushes. In "The New Platinum Print", it looks
> like the brushes have metal ferules. Any comments?

John, that business about ferrules is merely saluting the flag. Did anyone
ever dip a brush far enough into pl-pd solution to hit the ferrule?

Some of the better hake brushes do use stitching instead of metal, but I
myself think hake is good only for smoothing gum emulsion, wouldn't try to
spread emulsion with it (though I daresay some pl-pd-ists will not agree).
Also, I'll add that the stitching is no guarantee -- I've had stinko hake
brushes with dandy stitching.

Judy