Re: brushes

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Fri, 21 May 1999 14:26:43 -0400

John,

At risk of launching a Great Debate, I'm not convinced that metal
ferules are a real problem. Certainly you can use a glue or epoxy to
coat the metal, but I admit I don't bother. The brush you see in the
TNPP demonstration photos is a relatively inexpensive "varnishing" brush
which works quite well. I've also had good results with a two inch
"camel hair" brush meant for dusting negatives (a suggestion I picked up
from Dick Arentz) and if money is no object a big sable watercolor wash
brush is lovely.

All that said, I'll also go on record that I prefer glass or acrylic
coating rods to any brush. I've never been able to demonstrate to myself
that I can get a better print with a brush than with a rod. Since I get
good results more easily and with a 30% or so savings in solutions, this
appeals immensely to my lazy cheapskate nature.

---Carl