Re: TOO MUCH WATER(Re: Modified Zia Formula)

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 22 May 1999 13:08:15 -0400

Eric,

I think you may be on to something with this water thing. It does seem
to help explain some of the phenomenon I've been getting.

You aksed:
> What I have yet to see in Jeffrey's results is how much time is allowed for the
> paper to "stabilize" to an RH. Just because a paper is in an environment of a
> specific RH does not mean that that paper is at that RH unless appropriate time
> is give to allow the paper the climatize.

With this paper (Crane's Parchment Business Card Stock, AKA
"platinotype"), stored dry, I am holding it over a sonic mister to pre
humidify (like Carl I have found this paper to coat better this way),
then letting it sit at ambient conditions for a while, then coating by
brush, then immediately blowing ambient air over it (hair drier with no
heat)(full drying typically takes 3-4 minutes). I can only guess that
the humidity in the paper has stabilized (best I can do). My techniques
and procedures are carefully and rigorously controlled and reproducible.

I would like to get a calibrated 4 point probe humidity measuring system
to measure the actual humidity in the paper and coating. If anyone on
the list has one, I would appreciate borrowing it to do some of these
tests. This would certainly help answer your question.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/