Brush vs Rod

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 22 May 1999 13:31:28 -0400

Some claim the rod is the best device to put down a coating; some claim
it's the brush. A little competition is good; even better is the
knowledge that could come from a brush/rod comparison. Does one have to
master both? Does one have favorable nuances over the other? Are they
only different means to identical results? Does the preference of one
limit one's abilities? Is this a careful choice a beginner must make?
These are some of the questions that I have not seen answered properly.

Carl,

Having seen your work, I believe you to be an expert at Rod coating.
You have seen some of my work, and I would hope you would consider me to
be as skillful at Brush coating.

I would find in interesting and beneficial to more fully understand the
advantages and nuances of each of these coating techniques. What I am
suggesting is that you come visit and bring your rod and any chemistry
you wish, and a couple 8x10 negatives. We can run though some scenarios
using my new darkroom facilities.

I would really like to compare and contrast the best results from a
brush and rod used under similar controled conditions and report the
results to the alt-photo list. If done soon, we could take results to
APIS.

Even though I am a staunch brush supporter, I am willing to keep an open
mind to see what a rod has to offer. And also to find out if I am
missing something.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/