CMY separations with Photoshop/Epson Photo EX

arkins@banet.net
Sun, 23 May 1999 13:10:29 -0400

I have recently acquired Dan Burkholder's revised "Making Digital Negatives" book, and have been attempting to make CMY separation negatives for gum printing with Photoshop 4 per the instructions therein. The first set I made ("spectral density with color table") looked odd to me. The cyan and yellow records had very little image detail (texture, etc.) in them; most of the detail was carried in the magenta record. (The scene photographed was an outdoor portrait with grass in the background.) This is unlike a set of separations I made in RGB, in which each color record shows some detail. Is this a peculiarity of CMY separations, or do you suspect I'm doing some thing wrong. Each CMY negative file was treated identically, by the way.

Another question I have is which color does one print each negative of a CMY set in? Is cyan printed with blue pigment, yellow in yellow, magenta in red -- as opposed to an RGB set, where the red is printed in cyan, the green in magenta and the blue in yellow?

I'd appreciate the group's input on these questions.

Apropos of another issue, does anyone have time/temperature information for development of Tri-X/T-Max 400 in FX-2 (including diluted concentrations of this developer)?

Thanks!

Joe Arkins
Long Island City, NY