Re: Retraction Fw: Question about FX-2

FotoDave@aol.com
Tue, 25 May 1999 00:47:23 -0400 (EDT)

I think we are over emphasizing the accuracy of carbonate. It is used only as
the accelerator, and it is used basically only to set the pH.

For a strong acid or base (such as Sodium Hydroxide), even if you double the
amount, the pH change is at most 0.30 (pH is in log scale, so we get the
familiar one stop, 2 times, 0.30).

But for weak acid or weak base (such as carbonate), the change for doubling
the amount won't even be that high. The pH will remain about the same. What
you get by giving more chemical is better buffering.

Dave S