Re: Rice Paper

Suzanne Izzo (izzos@gusun.georgetown.edu)
Fri, 28 May 1999 17:23:47 -0400 (EDT)

I buy "rice paper" in rolls and like it very much. It is labeled
"Oriental Rice Paper For Sumi, Calligraphy, Water Color, and Sketching"
The label also has "Loew-Cornell, Inc., Teaneck, NJ 07666-2490" and "Made
in Taiwan." It comes in 50' rolls, 18", 15", and (I think) 12" wide. I
recently bought an 18" roll at Plaza Art for $11.25 (actually they had to
get it from one of their other stores several states away as they had only
15" rolls). It also comes in tablets.
This paper is wonderful for cyanotypes (including toned cyanotypes). It
is very strong in water. You can ball it up and squeeze the water out the
way you would with a piece of cloth. With only cyanotype it stays soft,
with gum it becomes stiffer (not a problem, but it loses the cloth-like
feel).
It is opaque enough that you don't need a backing (and can't noticeably
change the color with a colored backing). It could have interesting uses
in situations where there was light behind it (window, lampshade), but in
a mat you don't notice that it is thin.
I don't know how similar this is to the paper David Nash found, but this
"rice paper" gives you a lot of paper for the money, and I have been very
happy with the results I have gotten.
Suzanne