Re: darkroom waste water

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 29 May 1999 13:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Martin Franchi wrote:

> To reiterate Judy's statement I too feel guilty about the limited resource
> that goes down the drain. In Toronto and surrounding centers the flat rate
> system is the norm, although the city is trying to convince people to
> convert to meters, my house was done years ago, it is slowly changing over.
>
> Looking at my last water bill the water rate $0.88742 per cubic meter with
> a 21% sewage service charge, that's pretty cheap, it has to be double or
> more in Europe. Interestingly enough Canadians waste more water per capita
> than any other nation and produce more garbage too. It isn't too hard to
> believe when I look outside and lots of individuals are watering their
> lawns every day/second day, and look they are watering their driveways and
> the sidewalk too, doohh!!

Around here they water their cars. But looking at my water bill I see
$1.25 per hundred cubic feet, which is 748 gallons, although the math to
compare with Toronto eludes me. The sewer charge is 159% (yes, one
hundred fifty nine %, but rents are out of sight here, too). In the
context, however, I mention that I found gum printing uses the least water
per print of any medium.

The first wash doesn't have to be clean water, and that first tray can be
first tray for several prints. Similarly, a second tray is used several
times & then can usually become first tray. Most prints are "done" by the
time they leave the 2nd tray, but a short rinse in very clean water is
good psychologically. This assumes of course that you have a place to put
3 trays, which, in NYC at any rate, costs more than the water you're
saving. But you're saving water.

Judy