Re: Chemical Conversion

Darlington Media Group (postmaster@mediaworkshop.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 29 May 1999 18:30:46 +0100

Hi

Sandy, you actually need less of the anhydrous salt when substituting for
the hydrated form.

If the formula requires the crystalline form of potassium carbonate K2CO3
10H2O (decahydrate) and you have the anhydrous version, then multiply the
weight give in the formula by 0.52 and substitute.

However, do make sure that the original formula refers to the decahydrate,
large clear crystals and NOT the monohydrate (looks like granulated sugar)
If this was the case the multiplication factor would be 0.83

                        Cheers ....Tony McLean.