Re: darkroom waste water

Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Sun, 30 May 1999 18:46:52 -0700

Martin brings up some very good points. It is always easier to pass the
responsibility thinking that anyone of us is merely a small contributor to
environmental pollution and it is the big factories that we need to focus
our attention upon. But by starting small and watching ourselves we can
each help. It adds up, it really does. Think about before recycling was
popular. You threw out some aluminum cans, and your neighbor threw out
some, and their neighbors, and so on. I am constantly amazed when I walk
around my neighborhood here in San Francisco on recycling days. There is so
much out there every week from so many people. I am always horrified to
think that for many years we just dumped this all in a big hole in the
ground. Yes, municipal waste water treatment, depending on the system, can
remove some of these toxins, but even if they do, guess what they do with
all that stuff that they take out. Yeah, they bury it in a big hole in the
ground somewhere, hopefully where it is controlled so that it doesn't leach
into the ground water. But that does not always work. We each need to
become responsible, at least keenly aware, of the wastes that we produce so
that we can responsibly manage it. If someone is willing to go to the extra
trouble and expense of handling it properly I applaud their efforts. I pass
the soap box on now. Take it away Judy.........

Gary Miller