Re: gelatin flexibility

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 08:28:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> > What isn't clear
> > to me is how you could dry a gelatin Sol without it forming a gel?
>
> I believe in Collotype, they use a heated oven so that the emulsion would dry
> without forming a gel, but that's a different process where reticulation is
> purposedly wanted.

OK, that makes sense.

> length of printing), so my "guess" or "theory" or "model" is that when the
> right proportion of glycerine is used, the gel does not dry to as dry as if
> no glycerine is used. That makes the honey or syrup somewhat syrupy, so the
> emulsion is soft.

I agree with the issue of water retention. Gelatin is pretty flexible as
long as you don't let it get too dry. However, you don't want to add
enough honey or sugar so that the film starts having their texture. You'd
have a honey film with a bit of added gelatin in that case.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)