Re: PMK v Rollo Pryo Problems...I need help!

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Sun, 06 Jun 1999 20:57:43 -0400

Mike,

9 minutes in mid-strength (7.5/15/500) rollo pyro is a pretty long
development for Tri-X. Otherwise your procedure sounds fine, which
leaves your main question unanswered. I would expect your negs to be
very contrasty, not flat. How much stain do you see in the film edge?
TXT should show just a very pale green stain in the clear film areas. If
it is bright green, or if it is brownish or yellow then you are getting
unwanted overall stain which will result in long exposures and flat
prints.

BTW, getting very different results from the same printing formula with
different negatives is not in itself unusual--especially if the printing
times are dramatically different.

My rollo tests were all conducted with Expert Drums on a Jobo machine
with lift: I would expect results on a simple motor base to differ, but
not as much as you describe.

My first suggestion is to process some 5x7's in a tray in regular
PMK--just as you had been doing with the good 4x5's. This should tell
whether the problem lies with the rotary processing and new chemistry,
or somewhere else.

---Carl