Re: What does amidol do?

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Sun, 06 Jun 1999 19:00:23 -0700

Rather than tag through this and support my statements, I have copied our
list Chemist, Sil Horowitz.

But, while waiting for his commentary, I want to know from John Rudiak:
What is developer?

>From your reply, perhaps we might continue this discussion by either going
backward or forward, for it was recently revealed to me that some very
famous, successful photographers and teachers don't know how the
electrolosis process equates to film and paper development.

Besides the hydrosynthesis of the alt-photo process of metal salt
replacement.

Then, the activity of pyro and amidol upon silver halides in suspension on
celluloid or mylar can better be explained.

Just to perpetuate the interest, my sources are local guys, Cole Weston,
John Woods currently Bretts biographer and author of one of the Zone system
books; my own photo instructors Roger Fremier and R.T. Clark and most
interesting to all ... two of the guys who sold these now deceased, great
photographers their supplies; and another guy who uses amidol with his pyro
in the Jobo, GregBlanck the sales rep for Saater who deal with Zone VI
products and Forte film and papers as well as Omega products.

Okay, now to you: What is a developer?

S. Shapiro