Re: Daguerreotypes

Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 17:27:31 +0000

Greetings-

I'm coming into this thread without having seen the original post (from
Kallitype, apparently) but I believe there are one or two practicing
daguerreotypists on this list.

I have taken two dag-making workshops at The George Eastman House - in fact
was just today showing students the three dag's I came home with last fall.
 I could perhaps answer some of the more straightforward questions you
might have about the process....

Ken Nelson teaches the workshops at The George Eastman House and he has
been making dags for something like 25 years. He is a wonderful teacher
and the classes are excellent. They now require you start with the
beginning class before moving on to the two-day advanced class. There are
some significant saftey issues surrounding this process and I strongly
recommend getting started (if that's what you're interested in doing) at
one of these classes at The GEH - it's really not something you're ever
going to get out of a book....

I still have it in mind getting set up and start working with this
wonderful process. I'd be happy to try to answer your questions....

Best - Jon Bailey