Daguerreotypes

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:34:32 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Kallitype wrote:

> Since I am interested in making Daguerreotypes, I would like more
> particulars on "the five or six". True--when & where? Is there a
> reference anywhere so I can read about it, first-hand?

I'm pretty skeptical about this too.

> Can anyone point
> me to a good source for DIY info?

The Daguerreian Society <http://www.daguerre.org/> has a publication that
covers contemporary practice of daguerreotypy. I don't remember the
title, but if you contact the Society they should be able to help you.

(You are in luck, I just found a reference to this paper. Check out
http://www.daguerre.org/gallery/schreiner/cs_info.html)

There is also a newsletter, The Daguerreotypist"
<http://www.daguerre.org/resource/dagtypist/dagtypist.html> also published
by Charlie Schreiner <charlie@macatawa.org>.

> Have read historical pages on web,
> but there is no real hard info on methodology and protocols, just
> general "image fixed over mercury", etc.

I'd hazard to say that most of the hard info available is found in
historical texts. One that looks decent is
<http://www.daguerre.org/resource/process/remin.html>. There is also some
info in the list archives, but not too much as I recall. For those in the
Denver/Boulder area Tom Young is a local practitioner. I spent an
afternoon watching him make a few plates. It is a fascinating and
extraordinarily beautiful process!

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)