Re: Daguerreotypes

Peter Mikalajunas (tintype@megsinet.com)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 23:18:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:34:32 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Kallitype wrote:
>
>> Since I am interested in making Daguerreotypes, I would like more
>> particulars on "the five or six". True--when & where? Is there a
>> reference anywhere so I can read about it, first-hand?

I must have missed this original post...

>I'm pretty skeptical about this too.
>
>> Can anyone point
>> me to a good source for DIY info?

The process really should be taught hands on with an experienced
daguerreotypist.

The George Eastman House offers regular courses. Also, this summer
the Photographers Formulary will be hosting a course at one of their
workshops.

>The Daguerreian Society <http://www.daguerre.org/> has a publication that
>covers contemporary practice of daguerreotypy. I don't remember the
>title, but if you contact the Society they should be able to help you.

Indeed a very good place to start.

>(You are in luck, I just found a reference to this paper. Check out
>http://www.daguerre.org/gallery/schreiner/cs_info.html)

>There is also a newsletter, The Daguerreotypist"
><http://www.daguerre.org/resource/dagtypist/dagtypist.html> also published
>by Charlie Schreiner <charlie@macatawa.org>.
>
>> Have read historical pages on web,
>> but there is no real hard info on methodology and protocols, just
>> general "image fixed over mercury", etc.
>
>I'd hazard to say that most of the hard info available is found in
>historical texts. One that looks decent is
><http://www.daguerre.org/resource/process/remin.html>. There is also some

Please don't consider this one anything other than an historical text.

It is not meant to be a how-to guide for today's budding
daguerreotypists. The biggest problem with this text is total lack of
warnings about the process. Of course, the author can be forgiven, as
they just didn't know how toxic mercury was then.