Alt. Gallery in San Francisco??

garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 01:51:28 -0700 (PDT)

.. for the past 15 years or so, I have been remodeling rental houses
for a family I know. One of the properties that Jay owns (he's a
doctor, lawyer & realtor) is a three story building downtown San
Francisco on Market St. I'd say it's been 10 to 15 years since the
elevator was in functioning condition. So what was once the second &
third floors of a department store has been unused except for storage
for the camera store that is currently on the first floor. The back
stairs are fine, but without a working elevator, the only access is
through the first floor.
   A couple of times over the past few years I've told Jay the 2nd
floor would make a great art gallery. It's just an open space...with
old clothes racks, display cases with broken glass and dust... I drove
up to San Francisco this afternoon(I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains)
to discuss building a bathroom in a different building... and the topic
of putting in a new elevator came up again at dinner (wonderful Thai
restaurant)... He wants to know when I can arrange it, and thinks
hardly anything would need to be done to make a gallery and lecture
space, just redo the bathrooms, put in a kitchenette and paint & wiring
for lights. Otherwise he'd like both floors to be live/work areas.

Neither Jay nor I are in a real hurry to get to work on this building
as there are several projects that come first. But I just wanted to
check with list participants to see if there was interest in perhaps
doing a gallery as a collective. Perhaps there are even experienced
people in operating such business, and have ideas on how feasible this
might be.

I look forward to your ideas and feed back.

Garimo