cyanotype question

Maylee Noah (eln@blarg.net)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:09:16 -0700

Last summer I bought several kits form Photographer's Formulary. The instructions in the "New" Cyanotype kit say to use 5ml of a 25% ammonium dichromate solution. Photo Techniques (Jan 97) published a recipe similar to the kit but it calls for 1/10th as much dichromate. Has someone made a mistake or does the amount of dichromate not matter?

And, since I misread the instructions, I put the whole 20ml of 25% dichromate solution I'd mixed up into the cyanotype sensitizer. So my sensitizer has 4 to 40 times more dichromate than it should. It works but seems to leave a light yellow stain. I can get rid of the stain with a sodium bisulfite solution I mixed up to clear gum bichromate prints (also from one of the kits). It changes the color some. Does it do any harm?

I emailed these questions to Photographer's Formulary about a month ago and have gotten no response. Any help will be appreciated.

Maylee