part 2, cyanotype question

Maylee Noah (eln@blarg.net)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:27:09 -0700

Thanks for the input. All agree its too much dichromate and I should start over. But what about using a sodium bisulfite solution (5%) on the prints? The affect is nice. It brightens the blue. Does it do any harm?

I have heard of people printing gum over cyanotype and presumably they finish with a clearing bath of sodium bisulfite or potassium metabisulfite. So that makes me think its okay. But does someone actually know?

BTW, I started with kits because I took a class and the instructor said, "Buy these kits." I expected that if I followed instructions I'd get good results. Obviously I didn't follow the instructions on in the cyanotype kit, but they were sort of wrong anyway. And I did better with the instructions on the subsequent kits and got worse results. So now I'm pretty frustrated, confused, and really not willing to give up. I'd like to understand why some things work and some things don't.

Maylee