Re: Ziatype variables etc.

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 02 Jul 1999 21:02:55 -0400

Richard Sullivan wrote:
> The question has come up on private e-mail as to whether I would be
> changing my formulations for the Ziatype in light of Jeff Mathias's work.
>
> In a word no. And an explanation of why.

Hey, that's fine. If you've got customers who like the solutions, by
all means keep them available.

However, just because some great prints have been made doesn't mean that
the full potential has been yet realized. And just because formulas
have been optimized doesn't mean that one must use them. Some
interesting results can be had by employing situations quite different
from the norm. But how does one know unless they experiment. And yes
one can find the minimum materials and effort to still produce an
acceptable print. My interest has been with finding the best that can
be achieved at any cost or effort.

I still advocate that one purchase the raw materials and mix up their
own solutions as I believe this affords the greatest creative options.
And do keep in mind that one of the benefits of using optimized
solutions that are "balanced" is that the metallic salts may be
substituted, interchanged, or mixed without worry. The results will be
optimum and respond to the various nuances different materials have to
offer.

Also keep in mind that it is relatively easy to get ANY desired results
if one has command over the best situations, but it is not so easy to
get more refined results without that command.

And do take note that my efforts have been reproducible. Enough
information should have been given to check on these results. Someone
had said they were going to do a test with independent evaluation, but
no word has yet been heard.

I do find it unusual that no one has commented on some of the
unsuspected findings such as the shorter clearing times using AFO and
the necessity to watch out for heating up of the contact printing frame.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/