Re: Where can I get the contrast!?

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 18:55:02 -0400

Adam Kimball wrote:
> ...I've compulsively taken pictures of subjects that have a stop, or two of
> contrast. Every so often, I'll meter a scene and be amazed to read
> three or even four (!) stops of contrast - but this is all too rare for
> me. ...

Adam,
Are you saying that the total range is two stops? If so, check out some
of the low contrast, reduced range work of George Tice. Hopefully this
will demonstrate that one doesn't need full range to make a great print.

However, what I think you meant is that your subjects are "asking" for
plus development.

> Any ideas for that elusive N+++ or N++++?

I have successfully accomplished up to plus 5 developments (that's
N+++++ by your terms) using Kodak Tri-X and HC-110.

A plus five for Pt/Pd requires something like a touch more than 12
minutes in HC-110 (256ml per liter) or if you dare, 6 minutes in HC-110
(512ml per liter)(that's like one-to-one strength). CONTINUOUS
AGITATION (including lifting and resubmerging, but only developing one
negative at a time) The recommendation would be to go with the 256ml
HC-110 mixed with 744ml H2O. Expect an increased base density. All
this is done with a Zone VI compensating timer which I believe is
calibrated at 68F.

CAUTION: Especially at these higher concentrations of HC-110, one should
be wearing gloves. (Read the label warnings.)

NOTE: Keep in mind that the capacity of a liter of developer will be
eight 4x5 or equivelent. If more are attempted the times will be
noticeably lengthened. It is especially important at the higher plus
developments to NOT exhaust the developer. This does use a lot of
HC-110.

I have found the HC-110 Tri-X combination to be reliable and fairly
linear from N-2 to just about N+4 and noticeably more is needed for
N+5. I have not had reasons to go lower or higher.

Now, I realize it's not Pyro, but I can get a N+5 devlopment.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/