Paraffin

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:38:38 -0700

In Britain, paraffin is what we in the US call kerosene, sometimes coal oil.
The paraffin for sealing jams and jellies is a pure product from distilling
petroleum.
To distinguish it from a liquid form it is sometimes called paraffin wax.
We also use on our kitchen drawers to make them slide easier in and out.
When I was a kid, we'd build small wooden sleds, waxing the bottom w/paraffin
and coast down the summer gold California grass hills with great speed.
JF