Re: $$$$ how to price prints

Sam Wang (stwang@clemson.edu)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:10:23 -0400

That partly depends on why you need to set a price: to sell as a
hobby, to insure, or to set a standard for a livelihood.

Here are a few of the things to consider:
        - how badly do you need the money, and is a sale at this show likely to
           occur?
        - there IS a general market ballpark figure for every kind of prints
        - you can later increase your prices, but NEVER decrease
        - price, unfortunately, also decides the amount of viewer enjoyment:
           "wouldn't you rather look at a print you know is worth lots of $$$?"
        - put POR (price on request) on the label if a figure seems too tacky
        - who's the buyer: someone who needs a picture over the couch or who
           really appreciates your work?
        - how much are you willing to spend to buy it back if you had
the money?

Hope this helps.

Sam Wang