Re: I'm Blue Over My Cyanotype!

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:58:25 -0400 (EDT)

Siouxsan et al,

About two months ago I ran a series of tests on cyanotype. I used both the
formula you posted and the simpler version and also Mike Ware's new version.
In all cases I have used GREEN crystals. Although I have read about folks
using the brown crystals, until now I have never met anyone who did.

Assumining you are using green crystals, your formula should work on almost
any kind of paper ( I tested 8 papers. The two you mentioned were included).

I have one question. Did you mix the solutions A and B seperatly and keep them
seperate until time to coat?

A dim incandescent 15 or 25 watt is OK for coating but the paper should dry
in the dark or under red light (my opinion).

The water may be the problem. Why don't you buy a jug of distilled water
in the super market. A gallon is about 79 cents around here.

BTW, my tests showed that leaving out the Oxalic Acid and Ammonium Dichromate
(in other words, using the simpler formula) gave me prints that were just as
good if not slightly better.

One more thought. Test your wash water. I presume you are using tap water.
It should be neutral or preferably slightly acidic. If the wash water is
alkaline, it may be bleaching the prints.

May your blues be bluer, your whites whiter and your tonal range longer.

Bob Schramm