Re: Pricing prints.

Garet Denise (garet@rmi.net)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 07:37:15 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Altview@aol.com <Altview@aol.com>

>I think it is pointless to calculate pricing based
>on such mundanes as cost of materials and hours spent making an image

>Patrick Alt

I agree. The 'cost based' philosophy might work better for commercial
photography, but not art. In reality the value of something (anything at
all, photographic or otherwise...) is based solely on what someone else is
willing to pay for it. The cost that went into making a piece of art has
absolutely nothing to do with the price that a customer is willing to pay.
For a commercial item where there are many available (such as a used camera
body) it's fairly easy to establish value based on what someone else has
paid for a similar item. Not so easy for a unique item such as a piece of
art. But price will still be based on 'similar' work in a 'similar'
market, just not as well defined.

Garet Denise
garet@rmi.net