Re: $$$$ how to price prints

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:22:29 -0400 (EDT)

Judy et al,

Well, I thought I had included a labor factor when I mentioned the
difficulty in producing the print. If not, let me ammend my original post
by saying that this is an important factor. For me, anyway, it takes a
lot more effort to produce a nice monochrome gum than a cyanotype and
I think I mentioned that I could make lots of platinotypes in the time
it takes to make one daguerreotype. Let me also say that I do not think
it would be possible to account for every hour of time we spend creating
a print and assign a value to that. First one has to come up with an idea
and then figure out how to carry that out. After deciding on the process
the negative has to be produced. Then there are all those flubby dubs
that end up in the waste basket. Finally the print is made, matted and
framed. Sometimes, however, the idea doesn't work and the print does
not get made so all those hours are down the drain.

Anyway, I always believed that true artists make images for the pure
joy of it and partly just because they are compeled to do so. So, even
if they never sold a single piece, they would continue.

Bob Schramm