Re: $$$$ how to price prints

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 07:32:20 -0700

Pricing artwork is one big pain! That is my main comment ;-(

That said: I'll start by mentioning my prices. 8x10 alt prints
start at $300 and raise to $600 as the edition sells out, 11x14
start at $450 and raise to $900 as the edition sells out, 16x20
start at $650 and raise to $1300 as the edition sells out.

My editions are 25 inclusive of all sizes / materials / any other
excuse. While it is sad to retire a negative, it is a relief to
know I won't be printing it in my retirement!

I do sell "silver" prints at a slightly lower cost, due more to
the smaller amount of labor required than the lower cost (is a
silver print actually "cheaper" to make than a gum??)

I have a fair number of galleries selling my work, and these
prices seem to work well. I recently had a show in Montana,
didn't sell many pictures. The owner said "your prices are just
a bit high for this area". On the other hand: a gallery in the
Detriot area "really liked" my work, but didn't find it "worth
there time" to sell prints as "cheap" as mine!

Remember in pricing that a commercial gallery will take 50% and
if you have even one gallery you should sell your work at the
same price they do: don't undercut them!

--
Tom Ferguson
tomf2468@pipeline.com