Re: $$$$ how to price prints

adin@frontier.net
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:13:19 +0000

Re: Bob's comments

Just a few thoughts that have been "gently suggested" to me over the years.
Let me say, I don't necessarily buy into these . . .

> Well, I thought I had included a labor factor when I mentioned the
> difficulty in producing the print. If not, let me ammend my original post
> by saying that this is an important factor. For me, anyway, it takes a
> lot more effort to produce a nice monochrome gum than a cyanotype and
> I think I mentioned that I could make lots of platinotypes in the time
> it takes to make one daguerreotype.

(a loose quote here) "The viewer (potential purchaser) probably doesn't care
about how far you walked, how many bugs or gang members, or how many
internegs/masks/incantations it takes to make a print." In light of this, does
the image speak to me $xx worth?

> Anyway, I always believed that true artists make images for the pure
> joy of it and partly just because they are compeled to do so. So, even
> if they never sold a single piece, they would continue.

I often tell people I (still) photograph because I can't not. This is probably
true of all artists- I often want to know if a photographer has been making ___
prints for a while (or just one good pt/pd, maybe a gum, a ciba, a couple of
silver . . .) and make some decision about having a print in my collection.

The final bottom line might take all items discussed in this thread into
consideration, but certainly should reflect how the photographer views his/her
position in the market place. and of course 137 other factors . . . . . .all of
these factors have merit, the final weight of each is the photographers own
decision.

David

--
This message was sent using Frontier Internet's Webmail.
http://www.frontier.net