Re: $$$$ how to price prints

FotoDave@aol.com
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:14:27 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/21/99 7:46:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tomf2468@pipeline.com writes:

> That said: I'll start by mentioning my prices. 8x10 alt prints
> start at $300 and raise to $600 as the edition sells out, 11x14

Tom, I don't quite understand what you meant above. If the edition sells out,
doesn't mean it is out (no more print)? So what print are you raising to
$600? Or do you mean you currently sell all 8x10 prints at $300 each and will
raise the price when you sell out all edition? But as you continue to make
prints, wouldn't it be that you will never sell out all the editions? I
believe I misread you somewhere. Could you explain a little?

> I do sell "silver" prints at a slightly lower cost, due more to
> the smaller amount of labor required than the lower cost (is a
> silver print actually "cheaper" to make than a gum??)

If we are talking about material costs only, I think the main cost factor for
gum is the paper. There are so many different papers that one can choose, so
one can make a 8x10 gum print which is cheaper or more expensive than a
silver print. :)

> Remember in pricing that a commercial gallery will take 50% and
> if you have even one gallery you should sell your work at the
> same price they do: don't undercut them!

I just posted a message with question related to this before reading your
message. Thanks for the info. and advise!

Dave S