Re: With all the talk from the listminders

Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:22:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Don Bryant wrote:

> True, but computers need to be a little more contextual in their
> interpretation of human gruntings, not all people are as articulate
> (computer literate?) as they ought to be.

I'm sorry to say that there are still bugs in the RUM (Read User's Mind)
command. I'm told that the engineering department is still working on it
<grin>.

I've run mailing lists that tried to filter administrative requests as you
suggest. The problem is that you end up filtering valid messages as well
as the relatively few unsubscribe requests. Even putting the unsubscribe
information at the bottom of every message doesn't seem to solve the
problem.

(The most creative solution I've heard from a disgruntled list manager was
to lock out command and posting permissions for people who try
unsubscribing by sending messages to the posting address. The result is
that the offender is now stuck on the list, can't post, and can't
unsubscribe either.)

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)