RE: sodium metaborate, to make?

John Melanson (john@audiologic.com)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:29:55 -0600

Now we have really moved away from "what kind of photographer are you?" to
tech propeller head nirvana.

In solution, borate, metaborate etc. are a mixure of borates (a polymer form
of BO3 and BO4 is suspected). That's why they are such good buffers. So in
solution there is no such thing as "pure metaborate". The solution is
equivalent within your ablility to measure, use pure chems, etc.

"The fact that certain complex borates can be precipitaded or crystalized
from solution does not constitute evidence for the existance of such anions
in solution ..... " (Cotton & Wilkinson, "Advanced inorganic chemistry").
In english, borax, metaborate, etc are only well defined when crystalized.
The solution doesn't know how it was made.

The mixture of borax and NaOH can be crystalized to "pure" metaborate. If a
small excess of NaOH is used, no other borate form is crystalized.

By the way, I have heard that Kodalk is not really sodium metaborate, but a
mixture. I don't know if that's true, or just Kodak marketing.

Brew your own with a clear and frugal conscience.

John