Re: toning cyano. neutral

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:28:51 -0400 (EDT)

Gwen,

First, cyanotype is probably the least toxic of all the alternative
processes.

Second, I tested a number of cyanotype toners a few months back and found
that most of them produced less than satisfactory results because the
image turned, what I would call, muddy.

The only two toners that I found that worked well were (1) lead acetate
, which converts the prussian blue to a cobalt blue, but is rather
toxic and therefore, may not be worth fooling with, and (2) the group
of toners using tannic acid and sodium carbonate which can produce a
number of effects and colors depending on the formula.

If you are looking for inexpensive and virtually any color you want, I
would suggest that you look into gum printing. Platinum gets to be
pretty expensive and requires just the right negative.

Both gum and platinum are harder to do than cyanotype, but you can use
a "normal" negative with gum. Cyanotype and platinum both really require
a long-scale, dense negative in order to get a nice print.

Bob Schramm