Re: pinhole cameras

Rita Dibert (rjdibert@whanganui.ac.nz)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:29:07 +1300

>I am a special ed. teacher of the severely handicapped and working on
>hobby skills. I thought of using 4X5 film in old Quaker Oats round
>containers, and contact print the negs. on FREESTYLE's sunprint
>cyanotype paper, because water and sun are all that is needed (SAFETY).
>Can anyone tell me the formula to calculate the f stop for the exposure.
>Can I use an ordinary needle in foil. Also with the paper do I need a
>neg. as dense as platinum/palladium.
>
>Thank you for any help and my students thank you
>David
Dear David< It's a lot easier to use RC paper which allows for getting the
"film" in the camera under safes and developing again under safe. The idea
of waiting for someone else to process reg pan film for them and then
return illiminates a lot of the hands on immediacy that I would assume you
are going for. The other option is Lith film dev in dilute paper developer
for continuous tone. Perhaps having an assistant do the tray process while
the kids watch?
Cheers
Rita
Rita Dibert
Principal Tutor and Head of Dept., Photography
Quay School of Fine Arts
Wanganui, New Zealand