RE: was: More on the limits of Grayscale now insight into how printers work

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 02:05:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, ken wrote:

> It would be the prudent thing to always tell the scanner software during
> installation that you have a very high resolution printer. This is to keep
> the scanner software from tricking you out into thinking that you are
> scanning at the highest resolution when in fact it is scanning at a lower
> resolution. This of course is the starting point of getting your image to a
> digital negative.

Now I'm really confused. My scanner software has always asked me -- not
what resolution printer I have -- but what resolution I want to scan at.
Doesn't everybody's ? (My Microtek did that, the new UMax does, too.)

As for the printer telling me what resolution it's really printing at --
all I know is that if the file is over a megabyte or two, I'll get a
message saying it (laser printer) couldn't print at the specified
resolution. Supposedly it has 4 mbs of memory, but maybe it uses some of
them for something else.

Trying to get around that, instead of doing all 4 color separations in one
printing, I printed them 1 at a time (out of Pagemaker), but whether this
actually made a difference I couldn't tell, because the printer was silent
on the topic.

Finally, Ken says to figure resolution put dots or marks "an exact number
of pells apart." I've heard of "poles apart," but not pells apart.
What's a pell?

Thanks in advance,

Judy