Re: [Fwd: Wet & Dry Exposure]

Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:22:11 -0500

Gary Miller wrote:

> Eric;
>
> Although the Ziatype is very humidity dependent and you cold dry the paper
> down until it has 'just the right amount' of moisture, where a gloved finger
> run over the surface does not snag, the Ziatype can be mastered and
> controlled just as well as the DOP methods. It is all a matter of some
> training of your senses and a slight learning curve. For me, I am coming
> the opposite way, from first trying the Ziatype and now the DOP methods.
> Both methods have advantages and disadvantages. Neither is better or worse.
> They are just different ways to get a finished print.

Gary et al,

While it is true that both methods have disadvantages and advantages, the hype I
refer to is not meant as a slam against ammonium based chemistry. There have
been others that have done a bit of research on methods to make
platinum/palladium prints. I have yet to see any other come out with a new name
for what amounts to essentially a platinum / palladium print except The Palladio
company. It sells coated paper, and such, and the merits of their products have
been kick around on this list. There are many fine printers out there making
platinum / palladium prints, but no one has marketed a name for their particular
hand coated system. The Platinotype has been around for awhile. I see the
Ziatype as nothing more than a new package and to sell chemistry which makes
palladium platinum prints. It could have just as easily been named the Oh'
Sullivan, but Dick didn't move to Ireland , he moved to New Mexico where the Zia
symbol has been used for years by the State of New Mexico, a multitude of
businesses and others. The symbol is that of Zia Pueblos Indians. It is a
source of on going tensions between Anglos, Hispanics, and the Zia Pueblo. Here
is a short piece to give you an idea of what is what in the Land of Enchantment.

The Associated Press

SANTA FE (AP) - The state of New Mexico was never authorized to use Zia Pueblo's
sacred sun symbol
on the state flag and should compensate the pueblo, tribal leaders told
lawmakers on Tuesday.

The tribe wants the Legislature to approve a payment of $74 million - $1 million
for each year of the
allegedly unauthorized use.

"The people of Zia were never compensated or consulted about the use of the Zia
sun symbol," Gov.
Amadeo Shije told members of the House Business and Industry Committee. "You
have taken something
of great value from us, and . . . encouraged others to do the same."

The committee took no vote on the legislation because its chairman, Rep. Fred
Luna, D-Los Lunas, was
absent.

Shije told lawmakers the distinctive symbol was adopted by New Mexico as the
state symbol, and put on
the flag, in 1925, thirteen years after statehood.

The design was copied from a ceremonial vase made by a Zia Pueblo member, he
said.

The design is widely used, not just as the official state symbol - there are
pins on lapels all over the Capitol
- but by businesses and organizations. The symbol has been "diminished by its
casual use," Shije said.

The bill says that in addition to the compensation for past use, Gov. Gary
Johnson - who turned an "o" in
his name into a sun symbol for his campaign logo - would negotiate a contract
for the continued use of the
symbol by the state.

Enough history.!! :)

> Invest some time with
> the Zia and then see what you think before you totally dismiss it as some
> new hype technique. Actually it is about 100 years old.

I have been using AFO, lithium chloride and many other components of the Zia for
three years+. The Zia system has been expressed as an evolving system. It is
NOT 100 years old. Platinum printing has indeed been around for over a 100
years, but the Ziatype is in my mind, a marketing system of the B&S catalog.

--
Eric J. Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9