Re: Gold Toning

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 20:49:28 -0700

At 04:46 PM 7/31/99 -0700, you wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me regarding Gold
>Chloride Toning (or Gold Toning - is there a difference between the two?).
>I will be doing some fiber based silver gelatin prints for a gallery show
>and wanted to give gold toning a try. Any recommendations with regards
>to materials/procedure and/or reference guides would be very much
>appreciated. Thanks, Lorne Resnick
>& Commercial
>Photography
>e-mail: lorne@lorneresnick.com
>www.lorneresnick.com

  There are two forms of Gold toner, both of which use Gold Chloride.
1. A Blue toner
2. A Sepia toner properly known as Nelson's Gold toner.
   It seems gold chloride is not really the correct name for the compound
used but its called than in most of the older photo books.
  The first type of toner produces Blue tones. The warmer toned the untoned
image the bluer the toned image will be.
  When this toner is used on an image which has already been toned with a
sepia toner it will turn the image chalk red.
  Nelson's is a direct sepia toner containing Gold chloride. The gold
modifies the tones so that Nelson's tends to be redder than most other
sepia toners.
  Both types of toners yeild permanent images.
  Kodak has a diluted version of the Blue toner called Gold Protective
Solution. This was used before Selenium toning became popular. It is not as
effective as Selenium in protecting the image but may result in a more
desirable image color in some cases.
  you will find pretty complete formulas and instructions in _The Darkroom
Cookbook_ Steven Anchell which you should be able to find in most larger
photo shops.
  If you can't find the book e-mail me and I will send you formulas, etc.
  The Gold is expensive. The folks on this list can advise where to buy it.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com