Re: Platine and Solarization (further tests)

Gary Miller (gmphotos@earthlink.net)
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 10:06:53 -0700

Jeff;

On paper humidification, the paper is humidified on average for 5 secs on
the front, then 5 secs on the back, then another 5 secs on the front, but I
rely more on the chance of the paper from its original crispy stage to one
where it begins to bend slightly under its own. I think this is what you
are describing by say that it loses it crispiness. Also, I am only
humidifying a 5"x7" sheet, so 5 secs on a side, is very effective. When I
humidify 11x14 paper for 8x10's, I always do that longer. Again I am
trusting feel. You do bring up some good points that there are still some
'strange' things going on in even this small battery of tests. My
conjecture about the Platine is that it is probably already around 65% RH
just from being in the San Francisco environment. The humidification would
then drive it higher in internal wetness and could possibly place it over
some threshold RH amount into an area where this graining and contrast
increase becomes apparent. I know that Bill Laven is using Platine with
this chemistry about 10 miles on the other side of the city, but I think
that he does not pre-humidify either. I do not know if he has and if he did
humidify prior to coating if there were/would be any adverse effects. It
would be an interesting little test to try out. Further tests would be
useful.

Gary