Re: [Fwd: Wet & Dry Exposure]

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 13:23:43 -0400 (EDT)

===================================
> I can certainly respect the culture and people of the Zia Pueblo and
> refrain from inappropriately using their symbols and names. This is not
> difficult.

Before we commit terminal political correctitude, although I certainly
agree with the sentiments above -- could we please bear in mind that the
issue is the use of others' symbols by the *dominant culture* ? We are not
so scrupulous about mainstream or dominant culture "symbols".

Contemporary business, advertising, art, publishing, and just about the
air we breathe are rife with "appropriations" from "old glory" to "Uncle
Sam." Many find the use of "creche" scenes & other religious symbols in
commercial or even secular settings disrespectful, etc. etc.

"Respect" in the general culture, such as it is, is likely to be on the
smarmy side, skin deep and/or mindless, like a constitutional amendment
sacralizing desecration of "the flag." As for the symbols of "others" --
what is patronizing and what is authentic "respect" ? (Am I off topic
yet?)

Respectfully,

Judy