Pt/Pd-Platine, white spots

C. Richard Head (c_richard_head@yahoo.com)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 08:02:34 -0700 (PDT)

yes, carl, occassionally, even with my practiced coating, this can
happen when i print on platine and other papers (i only use platine to
when i print for a couple of other artists who insist on it. I prefer
the crane papers myself.) Even with my most expert care to make sure
that my coating job is very even and clean, I sometimes have a white
spot or two appear in a print out of the blue.

spotting this out may not be as easy to do as you think. my guess,
based on my own expert judgement of course, is that these are little
gum balls of sizing in the paper and at and on the surface. the
coating can't get a firm enough foothold on the paper fibers with the
gumball in the way at that point and thus comes off the "slick" spot
when you process the print.

when you try to spot it out, you may experience more difficulty than
usual trying to get the paper to take the pigment. what i do, as soon
as i notice this, is to stop trying to spot it and etch the spot with a
sharp exacto or razor blade as if it were a dark speck and then spot
it. You just tap the spot a couple of times with the blade folks!
Don't scrape it or try to gouge it up. A few dings of the point will
break through it enough to allow the pigment to get into the paper and
then you won't have a gouge in your paper.

hope this helps carl.

--Dick

===
C. Richard Head, Photographer
C. Richard Head Fine Art Photography
Especially Toned Silver Gelatin Photographs &
Exquisite Platinum and Rare Uranium Limited Editions, imp.
Workshops and One-on-One Personal Instruction